This is the official blog of Northern Arizona slam poet Christopher Fox Graham. Begun in 2002, and transferred to blogspot in 2006, FoxTheBlog has recorded more than 423,000 hits since 2009. This blog cover's Graham's poetry, the Arizona poetry slam community and offers tips for slam poets from sources around the Internet. Read CFG's full biography here. Looking for just that one poem? You know the one ... click here to find it.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Review of "Princess of Cups" on Decker's album "Long Days"


"Long Days" track #6. "Princess of Cups"
Decker’s sixth track on “Long Days” is “Princess of Cups” and includes the vocals of Decker’s longtime friend Shauna McCoy.
“Princess of Cups” is effectively the conclusion to “Song No. 5,” the song before it. After a short, intense relationship with the woman in “Song No. 5,” Decker put the past behind him with this coda that forms the final song in the album’s romantic trilogy.
It begins immediately confronting that fact the relationship is over without any suspicion, “I adore you / that's about the last thing I’ve got to say / take it or leave it / you own my heart now anyway.”
Of course, it’s not the last thing he has to say as the song continues on. It plays with the imagery of love as a spark of fluttering flame whose smoke now blots out the sun. However, “If I am the fuel, tell me, baby, what could you be if you're not the rain?”
“It’s the most poetic song I’ve written,” Decker said.
The lyrics also play with the Bible passage of Daniel 2:1-13, the dream of Nebuchadnezzar. Decker’s dream is also lost to him but not due to divinity or fear of knowing but from the woman herself. “If all that I’m left with is a memory / I just want to remember your face / the times you were dancing with me / and the dream that I dreamed / before you shook me awake.”
“Princess of Cups” is also the cleanest song on the album, formed with just acoustic guitar, the duet of McCoy and Decker and a second vocal track that fades into a near echo as the song reaches the end, figuratively letting go of the relationship.

Lyrics for "Princess Of Cups"

I adore you.
that's about the last thing I’ve got to say.
take it or leave it.
you own my heart now anyway.

if that was a spark, my heart is now a fluttering flame.
the smoke from these embers was just about enough to blot out the day

to blot out the day.

if all that I’m left with is a memory,
I just want to remember your face,
the times you were dancing with me,
and the dream that I dreamed
before you shook me awake

if that was a spark, I thank you for your mercy when you put out the flame.
still, my heart it smolders, just about enough to blot out the day.

think what you will. do what you want, I’d never ask you to change.
if I am the fuel, tell me, baby, what could you be if you're not the rain?

if that was a spark, my heart burns on in perpetual flame
the smoke from your fire was just about enough to blot out the day.

to blot out the day.

The CD release party for Decker's debut album "Long Days" is Friday, Oct. 2 at Ken's Creekside, 251 Hwy. 179, Sedona.
For more information, e-mail to bdeckermusic@gmail.com

No comments: