This is the official blog of Northern Arizona slam poet Christopher Fox Graham. Begun in 2002, and transferred to blogspot in 2006, FoxTheBlog has recorded more than 423,000 hits since 2009. This blog cover's Graham's poetry, the Arizona poetry slam community and offers tips for slam poets from sources around the Internet. Read CFG's full biography here. Looking for just that one poem? You know the one ... click here to find it.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Review of "None Of It" on Decker's album "Long Days"

"Long Days" track #11. "None Of It"

The eleventh and last track on Decker’s “Long Days,” is “None of It.” The song encapsulates the idea the nothing of the corporeal world will remain, i.e., the ultimate realization the life is finite, a theme harkening back to Decker’s educational background in philosophy.

“It’s about coming to grips with my life, Decker said. “Let the dead bury the dead.”

The crux of the song hinges on his self-awareness that if life is finite, then it should be worth living because there are no do-overs, “Half of this life is just dealing with emptiness / the other part is fighting to stay.”

The song is vaguely reminiscent of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s 1973 “Tuesday's Gone” as it was used in Richard Linklater’s 1993 coming-of-age film “Dazed and Confused.” Decker’s song figuratively captures his transition through the album from self-obsessed boy for whom selfish substance abuse is acceptable into man responsible for his own actions.

“I woke up this morning in some sort of self-induced fog and I look to the sun / and it dawned on me that I’ve never seen the sun before / never seen the light at all.”

The song again uses Biblical imagery to hint at the betrayal of his previous life using the imagery of Judas, “the sting of your treason, your bag of gold pieces / that never amounts to anything. Decker admits that he was pulled in by that seduction, but has finally let it go with the knowledge that the cycle of self-hate and self-abuse is just as futile as life itself. Through this realization and in seeing the sun, Decker finally starts down a light path with his dark past left behind him.

“It’s dreary, but it’s the perfect closer; it always has been,” Decker said.

Lyrics for "None Of It"

some peculiar haze.
I closed my eyes and it rained for days.
half of my life too afraid to change.
half my life I just run in place.

half of this life is just dealing with emptiness.
the other part is fighting to stay -
around for this moment of bliss filling happiness,
that never will remain

I know it never was meant to stay
I know that none of this will remain

I woke up this morning in some sort of self induced for and I look to the sun
and it dawned on me that I’ve never seen the sun before. never seen the light at all.
the sting of your treason - your bag of gold pieces
that never amounts to anything.
the stink of your lies and your cunning disguises
I held it once
but it slipped away
I know it never was meant to stay
I know that none of this will remain

The CD release party for Decker's debut album "Long Days" is Friday, Oct. 2 at Ken's Creekside, 251 Hwy. 179, Sedona.
For more information, e-mail to bdeckermusic@gmail.com

No comments: