This is the official blog of Northern Arizona slam poet Christopher Fox Graham. Begun in 2002, and transferred to blogspot in 2006, FoxTheBlog has recorded more than 423,000 hits since 2009. This blog cover's Graham's poetry, the Arizona poetry slam community and offers tips for slam poets from sources around the Internet. Read CFG's full biography here. Looking for just that one poem? You know the one ... click here to find it.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review of "Song No. 5" on Decker's album "Long Days"


"Long Days" track #5. "Song No. 5"

Decker’s fifth track on “Long Days” is the aptly titled “Song No. 5.” which he calls a “croon of intensity.”

While recording “Long Days,” Decker had a short, but intense relationship with a Sedona woman who was in the midst of moving to Seattle. They connected personally and musically and spent time writing and recording music.

The middle of Song No. 5 includes a voicemail recording she left, singing a song. The recording is paired with the haunting trumpet solo by Alaskan musician Sam Cavanaugh, which forms a duet with Decker’s vocals.

Within days of her move he traveled to visit her. While walking around Vancouver, Wash., they heard a woman covering the same, relatively obscure song from a bar.

The eerie background guitarwork weaves its way through all the songs in the album’s first chapter. By the start of the fifth track, that background harmonic element finally achieves a voice of its own and retreats finally into the background as Decker confronts and exercises it from his melodic structure.

Lyrics for "Song No. 5"

well, who are you? where are you from?
oh, how you've called me with your siren song.
but if you're gone, and if you leave -
I only hope you can remember me.
here is my heart. here are my words.
what grace is this, you're in my world?
but if you're gone and if you leave -
I’ll wait for you, if you wait for me

oh, don't be gone.
I’ve waited for so long.
don't be gone too long.

you sing the song of 1,000 doves.
what could this be if it’s not love?
but if you're gone and if you leave
I’ll sing for you until you're here with me.
you put your hand upon my heart.
you move on me just like the night.
but if you're gone and if you leave
I’ll pray for you until you're here with me

don’t be gone

The CD release party for Decker's debut album "Long Days" is Friday, Oct. 2 at Ken's Creekside, 251 Hwy. 179, Sedona.
For more information, e-mail to bdeckermusic@gmail.com

No comments: